They're a bit overexposed in all these pictures, but I used pearl snaps instead of buttons for the closures. I like the western feel they give.
Two problems I had with the snaps: I think slightly smaller ones would look a bit better (these were my only choice at Fabricland) and the prongs were not long enough to go through the top of the pocket. With the pleats and the hem, there are several layers of denim there. The prongs just barely poked through and there was no way they were going to grab the back of the snap to stay attached. So for now the flap is just, well, flapping. I may tack it down later, but I first wanted to see how it wears and washes. Maybe leaving it free will look better.
The fabric still cost more than I usually am willing to pay, but it seems to be good quality, isn't an impulse purchase, and I think it will prove to be a good value. I used regular (not heavyweight) taupe thread and a plain straight stitch for topstitching, hoping for a subtle bit of contrast rather than a bold line.