A couple of weeks ago I squashed my doubts and made a pair of pants for my son from Ottobre 1-2011-29. The No Kung Fu (?!) pants are described as "outerwear pants," but I'm not entirely sure what that means. The directions don't call for insulation, lining, or waterproofing. The suggested fabric is "outerwear fabric" - not so sure about that, either.
So why did I choose this pattern over some others? The knee patches, my friends. My boy blows out the knees on his pants with astonishing speed. I'm hoping these knee patches slow down the wearing out just a bit. Since I was looking for everyday pants more than outwear pants, I used a khaki brushed cotton twill from my stash. It was really nice fabric, but I have no idea where I got it or how long I've had it.
Let's look at some details.
Back pockets and yoke...
The instructions were pretty specific about topstitching and I followed them closely. Triple stitching here, edge stitching there, etc. I like the finished result of combining different types.
Cargo pockets and leg zipper...
Pardon the wrinkles - I took these after they had been worn. The zipper matches better in real life. I don't think the zipper will ever be closed, but it is functional. I wanted to include it for "the whole look."
I was not very fussy about getting great rounded corners on the patches.
I'm really happy with how they turned out and I think the extra effort was worth it! I'll likely use this pattern again. I was expecting them to be longer when finished, so next time I'd change that. They are a great fit now, but I'd like them to fit for awhile (since the knees are going to stay in tact!).