Skip to main content

The Goods

After the buttonholes were finished, I spent the rest of the day in the trim, button and notions shops. I also went to the more expensive fabric shops (where I would be broadening my fabric horizons more than acquiring). On the second day, I would return and do the rest of the fabric stores. My reasoning for this plan was that I was meeting the Preacher for a play on Broadway that evening and didn't want to be loaded down with bulky bags of fabric. Buttons and trim are easier to stash away.

So, let's get to the good stuff...

NYC Goods

Clockwise from top left: striped ribbons in two different colorways, likely will become hairbows for my girls; flower printed webbing for a tote bag for older daughter; D-rings and latches for tote bags, wristlets, or purses; brown ribbon, likely for me but I have no specific intention for it right now (it looks like denim up close).

NYC Goods
Picot-edged and fold-over elastics

I find the elastic selection at my local fabric store very bleak. I was tempted to buy so much elastic, but also felt like getting the proper elastic is rather project-specific. These few seemed both safe enough to be used up easily and also interesting to me.

NYC Fabric

These are all shirting fabrics from various stores. Most of this is just to add to the stash - I have no imminent projects planned for them. The chambray, however, is the exception. I have several projects "planned" for that chambray (dress, shirt, shorts, skirt, etc) - so hard to decide which to do! All of them would probably be overkill and I don't have enough yardage, but I love chambray and I particularly love the shade of this one.

NYC Fabric

These are the knits I purchased. The white piece is already cut up into two different summer tops. Strange to go all the way to NYC for white jersey, but this was less than a third of what I'd pay for it here. I'm not sure exactly what I'll do with the navy stripe (I know it looks black here, but it's navy) and the green print will be a dress, but I'm not sure what season it will be for.

NYC Fabric

Here we have the only bottomweights I bought. The white piece is a heavy stretch denim so I can try Jalie 2908. The plaid is a stretch woven that I'd like to turn into a summer skirt.

NYC Fabric

I purchased the orange necktie silk in a fit of inspiration when I went in Beckenstein. That store is incredible. And so far out of my league. But, the silk was a good deal and I thought making a necktie for the Preacher would be a good challenge. The gray fabric is from another shop and is for the lining.

NYC Fabric

I fell hard for this gray and yellow patchwork fabric. It seemed so summery to me and so different from anything else in my closet. It will likely become a skirt as well, but I haven't decided on a pattern. The gray knit is bamboo and beautifully soft. It will become a top to wear with the skirt.

And that's it. I didn't last nearly as long as I was hoping to on the second day. Fabric is heavy and my shoulders were not willing to carry any more. But, I saw all the stores I wanted to see and am very happy with my purchases. Nearly all the fabric is washed, dried, and moved into the fabric closet.

Now I find myself in a bit of a holding pattern. My iron stopped working last week. I ordered a new one, but  its ETA is a little uncertain. Any sewing time that I've had available has been used to cut things out. I've got quite a few projects ready to go whenever it arrives!

Comments

  1. It looks like you got a lot of great fabrics! I love the orange necktie silk. It is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So wonderful for you to have been to NY again!! I love hearing about it! Beautiful purchases! I wonder if it was tough to make choices of what to buy! Debra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of fun projects to mull over! Love the grey and yellow combo too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your blog! Did your husband go to Hope? We took our son for a visit, and the men all had orange in their ties. My husband has a good orange and blue tie--so I think our son could go to Hope!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Renee:
    Love your ruffles and ice cream. BEAUTIFUL work!
    Do you have web site suggestions for kid sewing? For a week this summer I will host gramma sewing camp. I looked through the pattern books, but nothing really related to their interests. I have a few ideas, but need more inspiration. (Ages 5-9)
    Thanks,
    Aunt Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Grocery Bags

More gifts! These are just like the still-all-too-ubiquitous plastic grocery bags, but they're fabric.  I followed this tutorial and you actually use a plastic bag as a pattern.  The instructions are very good and include a pocket so that the bag can be folded up and is easy to keep in a purse or a car's glove box. Mostly for the sake of the gift recipients, here's how to fold up the bag.... 1.  Lay the bag pocket side down and fold it length-wise using the edges of the pocket as a guide. 2.  Fold it in half, aligning the top of the handles with the bottom of the bag. 3.  Fold in half again and then reach into pocket with your hand and turn the whole thing (pocket included) inside out. Happy shopping!

Shopping Bags

Most stores in our town charge you a nickel for a plastic bag when you check out. I love this practice and the way that it encourages people to bring their own cloth bags or reuse their plastic ones. My habit of bringing along bags to the grocery store is well established, but I used to find myself stuck at places like the drug store or farmer's market or other impromptu stops. Then I picked up a bag at an upscale kitchen goods store that rolls up quite compactly. Now I keep that in my purse, so I always have a bag with me. I like my bag so much that I wanted to replicate it for the art sale. The final result is a hybrid of the bag I purchased and these that I made last year. The bag is a little bigger than the average plastic grocery bag. The velcro tab is used to keep the bag rolled up, but also can close the top of the bag when it is full. Most of the bag is a single layer of cotton, but the handles are faced. There is a double row of top-stitching around both edges of

The Burda Skirt Again

I'm not sure what prompted it, but awhile ago I decided that I needed a green skirt. The last time I was at Fabricland I saw this green wide-wale corduroy. I wasn't really looking for the skirt to be corduroy and the color was a little different than I was hoping for, but since I had my eyes peeled for awhile and hadn't seen anything better, I thought I'd try the corduroy. After looking for a suitable pattern, I settled on the Burda 2/2010 skirt that I've already used three times . Because of the weight and bulk of the corduroy, I didn't want to try to mess with too many details. I'll use another skirt pattern soon. Really, I will. One of the things I really like about this pattern is the pockets. This time I made the pocket facings and part of the pocket bag out of a cotton woven solid to reduce bulk. Since I'll be wearing this skirt with tights I added a lining. Adding the lining was really simple except that I cut the lining exactly the sam